Thursday, March 22, 2012

The First Day


I am typing this in my hostel room that is probably 8x8 with two beds in it… haha
Heres my story of today:
I woke up this morning in the US at about 4 am to make my flight; of course there were still a couple things that needed to be finished first. My flight was scheduled to leave at about 6:50 so that means that I needed to be there at around 5. We ended up leaving around 5, so obviously I was slightly late. Anyway, I finally found Jenna (my travel and study partner) and we made it through the crazy baggage checking lines with no problems. As we made it to security, we said our “until we see each other again” ‘s and went our separate ways. Security was no problem, and we made it to our flight just in time for the call for all to board!
The flight from PDX to Newark was very uneventful; I talked with a man and his wife about their adventures, surprisingly in Barcelona also, around the world. They told me all kinds of cool things about Barcelona (none of which I remember now haha) and about his family in New York. As we were coming in the last 50 miles or so, I started looking outside at the clouds. They were amazing! There were cloud plumes that stuck out like mountains, valleys, flat areas, and everything the landscape has. It was a fantastic view. Anyway, when we landed, we made our way through the airport to the gate. Why they had to put us literally on the opposite side of the airport, I don’t know. As we were walking we found a diner and grabbed a sandwich and a slice of cheesecake because “You need to eat some good New York cheesecake” according to Jenna. It was weird to say the least. I don’t think it was a good representation of the cheesecake of NY. It was so rich it was like eating ice cream in the form of butter. Very thick.
Four hours later we board on the flight, 7:05 pm take off NY time, 4 pm west coast time. This flight was about 8 hours. Wow… that was a long flight. I tried sleeping but the seats sucked for that, so I resorted to looking out the window, watching a movie and reading my book, Dark Tower. Another uneventful flight, but the scenery once we got over Spain was very beautiful! As it was still dark, I will have to just guess what city we were over Valladolid, because it’s along the path. It’s very hard to describe, but try to imagine a sea of dark, then all the sudden seeing a ring of lights with lines coming out of it. It was so cool!
When we landed, we walked the long walk to customs and went through without a hitch at all and found our bags. It took us about 30 min to find a place to exchange our money at and talking to many people, but we did it. While Jenna was exchanging her money in the bank, I was watching the bags, and while I was grabbing money from the ATM she watched the bags. When I got back, she said that about 5 guys walked back and forth eyeing my laptop bag… the reality of it is scary that people would consider doing something like that in the middle of an airport. After we get our money, we go down to the aerobus which will take us (we hoped) to plaza catalunya. Oh my goodness these guys drive like maniacs. This bus is a regular good-sized bus and the driver whips it around like I do with my little civic! Mopeds and motorcycles are everywhere, weaving in and out of traffic, cars cutting each other off with maybe 3 feet of room, taxis swerving out if front of busses… gah. I’m glad they are not letting me drive here.
So we finally get off the bus,(keep in mind we are dragging our luggage around the town with us too) and it is pouring down rain. I chuckled when I saw how many people had umbrellas, probably 9/10 people have one. So we wander around for about another 40 min trying to find our hostel, and finally do. We got here and it looks like an apartment in NYC. At first I didn’t think this was the place, but then a French couple came out and were very nice and told us that this was indeed the place. He even helped jenna carry her bag up the stairs (70 lbs) and talked with us for a few min (keep in mind our Spanish is limited at the moment). We get inside and pay for our room. As he is showing it to us, we notice one minor flaw… theres one bed. Minor mistake in the reading skills of my compañera. So we end up paying a little more to get a room that has two beds in it.
As of now, that’s whats happened! I am still sitting on my bed listening to Jenna saw logs… or maybe I should call it jackhammering some concrete while she takes her “snap” (snore nap).
That’s all I have for now, so far its been good!
Until next time!
Hasta Luego
-Fuego

5 comments:

  1. Plane Flights are generally mundane. I remember the 13 hour non-stop flight from PDX to Frankfurt Germany in July of 2003. I can remember my ass felt numb, like it had fallen off. Fortunately for you, you were able to look out a window. It's amazing, the world above the clouds. I can tell you appreciated the view! I'm glad. :-)
    You are traveling and spending time in Spain. That is awesome! Remember, the rain is your friend. You're an Oregonian! ;-)
    Theft is particularly high in areas of high tourist concentration, e.g. airports, train stations. Be on the lookout for pickpocketing. Locals enjoy taking advantage of foreigners. Who could blame them, it's easier than taking from another local, they know the area and the language. I once witnessed a pickpocketing in action. But the victim quickly realized what happened and conked the thief on the head with her purse!
    Aw crazy European drivers. They give foreigners that adrenaline kick! ;-)
    I've never heard or read someone use the word "snap." But I like it! Makes me laugh out loud! LOL :D
    I'm looking forward to your other blog posts! Cheers mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to talk to your so early this morning. I am very happy to hear the both of you made it safe and sound. I am glad you had an "uneventful" flight - and good you got the window.
      I could use a "snap" after the last two days...yikes! snow, snapping trees, loss of sleep.....anyhoo, snow is almost gone here - hope the rain leaves and you will find sunshine and happiness! Love you!!
      Mom

      Delete
  2. Buenos Dias, My sweet grandson, Denver. What a perfectly awesome first blog from you. Soooooo interesting. Oh my, what a great adventure this is going to be for you. So pleased you are keeping a journal''cause years later you will be so glad you did.

    I was so happy to talk with you, Wednesday morning while you were at the Portland air-port getting ready to depart for the long trip ahead. Hard to believe the time went so quickly for your departure date, and here it was March 21st and you and your study partner, Jenna, were soon on your way to beautiful Spain.

    Denver, you are such an amazing young man. Always looking for good things to happen with your "ever-positive" personality, and super great sense of humor! What a blessing that is, too. Positive and good things happen when you think in that vein. Hey, we all have the choice. With you, my dear grandson, it just has always been a part of who you are, even way back to your baby days. So, keep it up. It pays great dividends! : )

    Will be looking forward to reading more about your "Great Adventure!" Remember, "When the journey starts, the adventure begins!" Bye for now. You are in my prayers, 'cause I'm a grandma and that's what grandma's do best. Pray for their loved ones for all kinds of reasons......
    Vaya con Dios,
    Grandma Betty XXXOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoy reading about your adventure. Kudos for this great idea of a blog. Fun way to follow you... I kinda feel like I'm there too. TAKE MORE PICTURES! =P You better! I'm actually kinda glad I'm there because you would be making fun of me freaking out about crazy drivers! You know how that can sometimes freak me out! =P

    I'm really looking forward to your other blog posts, talking on Facebook, and you trying to figure out what I'm drawing in DrawSomething...( My drawing skills suck!)

    Tschau! Oh crap wrong language!! =P

    Kelli (with an I)

    ReplyDelete